STUDY MEDICINE IN THE USA
We all know that pursuing Medicine (MBBS or MD) studies could be difficult and challenging for students and due to the limited number of seats, high cost, high competition, low acceptance rate and long duration of the course. It is definitely a daunting task for students to enrol in medical colleges in their home country and abroad. Having said that studying medicine is one of the most rewarding career and more and more students are desiring to pursue this career.
In this article we would like to highlight key benefits of pursuing Medicine in the USA and the process that students have to follow. USA is the best place to study and practice medicine for the reason that it has best medical infrastructure and latest technology and very advance research facilities in the field of medicine. From financial perspective too, doctors in US earn much higher remuneration vs their counterparts in the other parts of the world.
As per AAMC (Association of American Medical Colleges) there will be an estimated shortage of 124,000 Physicians int the USA between 2019 to 2023 and it will keep growing further.
There are two ways to pursue MD in the USA which is thorough standard admission route and Integrated MD route. Let’s take a look and find out which option could fit you the best.
Process of completing your Medicine studies in the USA
Students can pursue Medicine in the USA at Postgraduate level only The program is known as MD (Doctor of Medicine) or Doctor of Osteopathic (DO). Students need to complete 4 years of undergraduate in science containing basic subjects such as biology, organic chemistry, psychology, calculus.
Students also have to take an entrance exam known as MCAT (Medical Examination Entrance Test). MCAT is a computer based multiple choice exam which covers the basic knowledge of science subjects and its concepts and as well as skills like critical thinking, problem solving and writing skills. MCAT can be taken 7 times in a lifetime and maximum 3 times in a year.
The minimum duration to complete MD is 8 years and then you apply for residency to start your specialization which could take between 3 to 8 years to finish.
What are the requirements for 4 years MD admission through standard route?
- 4 years Undergraduate degree in science stream with 3.3 GPA minimum
- MCAT score (preferably 510 or above)
- Academic letter of references
- Statement of Intent
- Community work experience
- English language proficiency (IELTS 7.5 bands overall no less than 7 in each section)
- Virtual Interview (Some Universities follow MMI (Multiple Mini Interviews) concept same as UK universities.
What is BS/MD program?
BS / MD program is an integrated Bachelor of Science and Doctor of Medicine offered by few schools in US. This is highly completive program for high school students who after the completion of the their high school can join the integrated program. The program duration ranges from 6 to 8 years. 6 or 7 years program is an accelerated program whereby students can complete their undergraduate degree in 2 or 3 years depending on the program duration.
What is the cost of studying Medicine in the USA?
Studying medicine can be very expensive. Tuition fee ranges from USD 55,000 to USD 85,000 per annum for the 4 years MD or DO program. The cost of living can be around another USD 25,000 per annum.
Study MD in 5 years through Integrated Route (Alternate Route)
By now you might think that you need to invest over a decade to become a doctor through the standard route. But there is an option for international students to complete their MD program right after high school completion without requiring a pre-med and MCAT which can save 3 years of time & cost for that period. There are multiple universities in Caribbean Island provide this integrated MD program
The integrated MD program is USMLE curriculum ready program which means you don’t need to spend any extra time for studying for USMLE. This integrated MD program is offered by universities through Caribbean pathway and those universities offer the clinical rotations in US hospitals. After completing the MD program and USMLE 1 and 2, students can apply for residency matching in the US.
Let’s look at the top 10 key benefits of studying through integrated MD route:
- Admission is slightly less competitive with minimum entry requirements
- No MCAT, NEET or UCAT required in many universities
- Direct entry after 12 years of schooling after A level, IB or CBSE
- Completing USMLE exams along with 5 years of MD
- Start residency after 5 years MD
- Clinical rotations in USA hospitals
- Get help with your residency match application and interview
- Scholarship opportunities
- Small class size for better attention
- WFME and NCFMEA Accredited
What are the requirements for Integrated MD Admissions?
- High School completion (Physics, Chemistry and Biology)
- Academic letter of references
- Statement of Intent
- English language proficiency (IELTS 7.0 bands overall no less than 7 in each section)
- Virtual Interview
How GoToUniverstiy Medical Studies Consultants help students
- Our consultants have years of experience and in depth knowledge of medial career in countries across the globe. We have been successfully helping thousands of students get fully prepared and get admission to medial colleges in UK, USA, Europe and many other countries. We help students by guiding them for
- Right country to choose keeping in mind long term career options
- Cost of Medicine Studies for MBBS and post graduate studies
- Entire Admission process and application process.
- Students profile to be best suited for Medical Universities
- Entrance tests requirements and preparation
- Extra Curricular requirements like Doctor Shadowing Programs, Medicine Course Exploration activities, Community Service Activities and much more
- Interviews requirements and preparing them for same.
- Medical Licensing requirements post completion of studies.
- Post Graduation specialisation requirements.