The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS) was created to attract and retain world-class doctoral students and to establish Canada as a global center of excellence in research and higher learning. The scholarships are directed towards a doctoral degree (or combined MA/Ph.D. or MD/Ph.D.).
Eligibility Criteria/ Scholarship Guidelines
To be considered for a Vanier CGS, you must meet the following requisites:
• Applicants should be nominated by only one Canadian institution, which must have received a Vanier CGS quota;
• Applicants must be pursuing their first doctoral degree (including joint undergraduate/graduate research programs such as MD/Ph.D., DVM/Ph.D., and JD/Ph.D. – if it has a demonstrated and significant research component). It should be noted that only the Ph.D. Segment of the combined degree is eligible for funding.
• Applicants must intend to pursue, in the summer semester or the academic year following the announcement of results, full-time doctoral (or a joint graduate program such as MD/Ph.D., DVM/Ph.D., JD/Ph.D.) studies and research at the nominating institution; Please Note that only the Ph.D. segment of the combined degree is eligible for funding
• Applicants should not have completed more than 20 months of doctoral studies as of May 1, 2019
• Applicants must have achieved a first-class average, as determined by your institution, in each of the last two years of full-time study or equivalent. Candidates are advised to contact the institution for its definition of a first-class average.
• Applicants must not hold, or have held, a doctoral-level scholarship or fellowship from CIHR, NSERC or SSHRC to undertake or complete a doctoral degree.