In 1983, General Motors Corporation entered into a Conciliation Agreement resolving the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission’s 1973 charge of discrimination against General Motors and the United Auto Workers. The provision of the agreement endowed specified colleges and universities with funds to be used to provide scholarships in perpetuity for minority and female employees of General Motors and their eligible spouses and offspring. Under General Motors Corporation’s educational endowment and grants program, scholarship funds are made available annually to meet their designated purpose. This scholarship is applicable for the individuals who are Native American/Alaskan, Asian or Pacific Islander, African American/Black, or Hispanic/Latino. Scholarships are awarded to students who will be enrolled full-time in an undergraduate program on the Ann Arbor campus.
Eligibility Criteria/ Scholarship Guidelines
Preference is given to:
- Minority and/or female employees of General Motors Corporation.
- Minority and/or female children of General Motors Corporation employees.
- Minority and/or female spouses of General Motors Corporation employees.
- Scholarship applicants must base their application on their relationship to a permanent, active, full-time employee of General Motors. Applicants should not base their application on their relationship with a temporary or retired employee or intern.
- Complete applications must include a copy of a recent pay stub or a letter from the Human Resources Department at General Motors Corporation confirming employment. Note: Referrals to “The Work Number” will not be accepted.
-These scholarships are not need-based and may be awarded to only one member of a family with an established relationship with a General Motors Corporation employee.
-This scholarship is not an employee benefit and is not guaranteed. Recipients are selected from eligible applicants based on academic merit. The number of scholarships awarded each year will vary depending on the annual income from the endowment fund.
How to Apply
- Application Form to be submitted at Scholarship Unit, Office of Financial Aid at the University of Michigan.
- Follow the instructions on the portal and update the required information accordingly.