Acceptance rate of students in American University

Post Study Work Options in USA

This goes without saying that the United States has been a hub for international students for a variety of reasons. Friendly environment, ample study visa options in US, great career opportunities and high rate of graduate employability makes it an ideal destination to study abroad.

American universities like Stanford University, Harvard University, University of Oxford, and the California Institute of Technology makes up to the top five global universities with  Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) retaining the topmost position in the 2020 QS global university rankings for consecutive eight years. They offer a variety of post study work option in US for its national and international students.

Some of the popular post study work options in US that a student can pursue are:

  • Teacher
  • Engineer
  • Trained nurse
  • Technician 

According to QS Graduate Employability Rankings 2019, out of 83 US universities included among the world’s top 500 for producing highly employable graduates. This has become possible only through high quality education and multiple post study visa option in US. 

The QS Graduate Employability Rankings 2019 was released based on five indicators

•    Employer Reputation
•    Alumni Outcomes
•    Employer/Student Connections
•    Partnerships With Employers and 
•    Graduate Employment Rate

Below is a list of top ten US universities in order of the rank in terms of graduate employability and post study work option in US in the year 2019

1.    Massachusetts Institute of Technology
2.    Stanford University
3.    University of California, Los Angeles
4.    Harvard University
5.    University of California, Berkeley
6.    New York University
7.    Yale University
8.    Princeton University
9.    Columbia University
10.  Cornell University 

Post Study Work Permit in the US

The country offers eight types of study visa options in US for international students. These are:

Optional Practical Training visa

Optional Practical Training (OPT) is a period during which undergraduate and graduate students with F-1 status can work for one year after completion of course. There also many types of OPT which includes post-completion Optional Practical Training option for students on M-1 visas. It gives students an opportunity to apply knowledge gained in your program of study to off-campus positions in your major field. OPT is authorized by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). student can stay for 12 months after completion.

H-3 Visa (Trainee)

An H-3 trainee visa is for individuals who do not have appropriate education or work experience. It is best suited for those who would like to come to the U.S. to train in a particular field to go back to their home country upon completion of their visa. The H-3 visa is valid for 2 years and cannot be extended or transferred to H-1B/L-1 status. To qualify for an H-3 visa, the applicant must have permission for training from a U.S. employer who has an established training program.

H-1B Visa (Speciality Occupation)

The requirements for obtaining this kind of visa are: 
•    a U.S. employer to sponsor the applicant
•    a U.S. Bachelor’s Degree or its equivalent
•    a correlation between the job duties and the applicant’s education 
•    suitable work experience

In addition to the above requirements, approval of a labor condition attestation (LCA) from the Department of Labor before filing the H-1B petition with the Immigration & Naturalization Service is also mandatory. The H-1B is granted for an initial period of 3 years and can be extended for an additional 3 years, but cannot be extended beyond 6 years. 

E-1/E-2 Visa (Treaty Trader/Treaty Investor)

Certain countries have entered into treaties with the United States, which allows their nationals to obtain treaty trader/treaty Investor visas. For an E-1 visa, the applicant must have at least 51% of the company’s trade must be between the U.S. and the treaty country. On the other hand, E-2 visa requires a substantial investment to be made into a new or existing enterprise. Managers, executives and other essential employees are eligible for these visas. The visa is usually granted for 5 years with 2-year increments upon each entry. It is possible to extend these visas as long as there is a need for the individual to direct and control the U.S. enterprise and the concern remains viable.

L-1 Visa (Intracompany Transfer)

The L-1 intracompany transferee visa is used for companies abroad who have offices in the U.S. and would like to transfer certain employees here on temporary employment assignments. This visa is designed for managers and executives for a maximum of 7 years or people possessing specialized knowledge for a maximum of 5 years). Extensions are viable through documentation showing major business activity or future business activity and an increase in personnel. Applying for permanent residency is possible through this category.

Where to get help for post study work visa in USA?

With constant amendments in the student visa options in the US, the process of admission in the U.S has become highly stressful. The consultant at GoToUniversity understands how tiresome and difficult could be the admission procedure. We direct students to get quick acceptance letters and smooth admission procedures. Free consultation sessions available. Hurry.

Leave your questions here

Your email address will not be published

i need student visa please

I need scholarship for my msc

Hi I'm graduated from one of Iranian University in Civil engineering B.Sc I want to know that how can I get help for post study after work visa in US?

Request a Call Back

Berlin School of Business and Innovation


Study in Toronto School of Management


St. George's University School Of Medicine


University Canada West


University for the Creative Arts



Subscribe to receive the latest news and updates about our blogs to your Inbox
Request Callback
6.8759078979492 MB