Post Study Work Permit in Canada 2023

Canada offers a post-study work permit program for international students who  have completed their studies at a designated learning institution in Canada. This  program allows international students to gain valuable work experience in  Canada and helps them transition to permanent residency. 

To be eligible for a post-study work permit, international students must  have: 

  •  Completed a full-time program of study at a designated learning  institution 
  • Graduated from a public post-secondary institution, such as a college or  university, or a private post-secondary institution that operates under the  same rules and regulations as a public institution and receives at least  50% of its financing for its overall operations from government grants  (currently only private institutions in Quebec are eligible) 
  • Obtained a written confirmation of completion, also known as a Notice of  Completion, from their educational institution 

International students can apply for a post-study work permit within 180 days of  receiving their Notice of Completion. The length of the work permit will  depend on the length of the study program, with a maximum of three years for  programs of two years or longer. 

The post-study work permit program is a great opportunity for international  students to gain work experience in Canada and potentially transition to  permanent residency. There are several pathways to permanent residency in  Canada, including through the Federal Skilled Worker Program, Federal  Skilled Trades Program, and Provincial Nominee Program. International  students may also be able to apply for permanent residency through the  Canadian Experience Class, which is a program for individuals who have  gained work experience in Canada. 

To be eligible for the Canadian Experience Class, international students must  have: 

  • A minimum of one year of employment in Canada under a current work  permit is required. 
  • Obtained the necessary qualifications for their job 
  • Demonstrated language ability in English or French 
  • Intended to live outside the province of Quebec

It is important for international students to carefully research and understand the  different pathways to permanent residency in Canada, as the requirements and  eligibility criteria can vary. It is also recommended to seek the advice of a  immigration lawyer or authorized immigration representative for personalized  guidance on the application process. 

How the post study work visa will lead to permanent residency in Canada? 

In Canada, the Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) is a temporary work  permit that allows international students who have graduated from a designated  learning institution (DLI) in Canada to gain valuable Canadian work  experience. To be eligible for a PGWP, you must have studied full-time in  Canada and have completed a program of study that is at least eight months in  duration. 

Holding a PGWP does not directly lead to permanent residence in Canada.  However, it can be a stepping stone towards permanent residence by allowing  you to gain valuable work experience in Canada, which can help you to qualify  for certain immigration programs that lead to permanent residence. 

One such program is the Canadian Experience Class (CEC), which is a federal  immigration program that allows individuals who have worked in Canada on a  valid work permit for at least one year to apply for permanent residence. To be  eligible for the CEC, you must have gained your work experience in Canada  

within the three years preceding your application, and you must meet certain  other requirements, such as having sufficient language skills and not having any  criminal convictions. 

Another option for international students who have graduated from a DLI in  Canada and hold a PGWP is the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP). Through  the PNP, certain provinces and territories in Canada can nominate individuals  for permanent residence based on their skills and experience. To be eligible for  the PNP, you must meet the specific requirements of the province or territory  you are applying to, as well as the general requirements for permanent residence  in Canada.

How We Can Help

Our experienced consultants will guide you throughout your journey in pursuit of higher education and admissions into your dream universities/colleges. In specific but not limited to, following areas of assistance is provided by our consultants:

Leave your questions here

Your email address will not be published

Request a Call Back


University Of Leicester


Skills You Gain from Taking the GMAT Exam


GMAT score - how much does it add to my CV


Virtual Medical Society


British Council EnglishScore Tutors



Subscribe to receive the latest news and updates about our blogs to your Inbox
Request Callback
3.2709579467773 MB