Study in St Georges University
St. George’s University Background
Founded in 1976 with the goal of drawing the best talent and practices from around the world, St. George’s University in Grenada has become a leading center for academic excellence worldwide. With students and faculty drawn from more than 150 countries, they truly are an international institution, perfectly poised to help educate students in this rapidly changing world. SGU has over 19,000 School of Medicine graduates in the US and around the world who are part of a strong alumni network. As of July 2021, no other medical school in the world provides more new doctors to the US healthcare system.
St. George’s University and student life in Grenada
If you’re envisioning a tropical paradise, you’re pretty much spot on. Expect year-round highs around 85 degrees Fahrenheit. May through November is considered the rainy season, with average precipitation ranging between seven and eight inches per month.
The list of things to do in Grenada is nearly endless. There are distillery and chocolate tours, hiking trails through the rainforests, and a slew of water activities. About 25 or 30 percent of SGU students get their dive certificates while they're down in Grenada. In addition to exploring the sea life, divers can also check out the fantastic underwater sculpture park.
And remember that all students are surrounded by classmates who are all in the same boat. Dr. Ish Saxena, an SGU Graduate says “The best thing about it all was the sense of community. I made lifelong friendships and professional connections, and it’s been great to stay in touch and see how successful my fellow graduates have been”.
St. George’s University Programme Details
The five-, six- and seven-year preclinical programs include coursework designed to prepare students for medical school during preclinical sciences.
In the four-year MD program, the Basic Medical Sciences concentrate on the traditional basic science disciplines. Laboratory experience is an integral part of these two years, along with small group discussions designed for problem-based learning and early integration of the clinical medicine into basic sciences.
The final two years focus on clinical sciences, with training at SGU’s over 70 clinical centers and affiliated hospitals in the United States or United Kingdom. Clinical training emphasizes responsibility, maturity, and compassion in the development of professional excellence. Students learn how to conduct themselves as physicians, take responsibility, work harmoniously with professional colleagues, and exhibit maturity.
St. George’s University Different campuses locations
An MD program at SGU provides ambitious students with the chance to study and work in multiple countries as part of their training in order to experience a multitude of healthcare systems and practice medicine across all specialties with a global perspective.
In addition to the University’s True Blue campus in Grenada, SGU’s students can complete up to 50% of their degree in the United Kingdom at Northumbria University in Newcastle upon Tyne. Similarly, in a partnership with Ramaiah Group of Institutions, students on a 5-year medical pathway can complete their first year of study in Bengaluru, India. The three paths feature the same curriculum and provide a strong foundation for SGU’s future physicians. For the last 2 years, SGU students take up core rotations and sub-internships in specialties such as surgery, pediatrics and psychiatry at one of over 70 affiliated hospitals and health systems in the US and UK.
In addition to this, SGU has nearly as many international students as all US medical schools combined* meaning students at SGU are surrounded and supported by like-minded individuals who have chosen to broaden their horizons with an international medical education.
St. George’s University Admission Requirements
St. George’s University’s exceptional MD program has multiple entry points available for students from various education system around the world. The five-year MD program is available to students meeting the following criteria:
- Advanced Levels: Minimum 3 subjects with A's and B's in Biology, Chemistry, and either Math or Physics; Math or Physics can be accepted at AS level with strong non-science third A level.
- Approved foundation programs: SGU recognizes and approves a range of science/medical pathway programs.
- Full IB Diploma: Requires a minimum score of 32 points; 3 HL science subjects recommended; minimum of 2 HL subjects required, which must include Chemistry and Biology; results 5 or higher.
- India 10+2 or CBSE: Minimum of 80% average with no grade below 80% in Biology, Chemistry, Math, Physics, and English.
School of medicine: 4-year MD program entry requirements for non US/Canadian applicants
1. Degree: A bachelor’s degree with a strong science background is necessary.
2. English language: If English is not the principal language of the applicant’s country, the applicant must submit acceptable scores on one of the following English Language Assessments.
- IELTS- 7.0 on each band
- TOEFL- 600 (paper-based), 250 (computer-based), or 100 (internet-based). The University’s TOEFL code is 2864
- Password-Skills –Scoring is the same as IELTS scoring for direct entry
- C1 Advanced- A score of 186 overall is required for direct entry
- PTE Academic – A score of 85 overall is required for direct entry
How We Help
Our experienced consultants will guide you throughout your journey in pursuit of higher education and admissions into your dream universities/colleges. In specific but not limited to, following areas of assistance is provided by our consultants:
- Complete Profile Evaluation
- Preparation of different standardized tests - Undergraduate and Postgraduate
- Helping you to build your profile by guiding you on leadership skills, co-curricular activities, internship, online courses etc.
- Shortlist and finalize the best-fit college / university
- Research the right programs / courses for students
- Craft academic CV
- Brainstorm ideas for essays and personal statements
- Draft pointers for recommendation letters
- Scholarship and Financial Aid guidance
- MMI and Panel Interview Preparation
- Submission of the application form
- Follow up with the universities and updating the status of the applications
- Visa assistance and guidance
- Assistance on safe accommodation options
- Pre-Departure Guidance